Saturday 11 February 2012

Recipe treats - one for mums and one for the kids

Argh what a week!!!  My little man is 7 and a half months old and I think he has slept through the night about 5 times and I'm slowly going insane - especially when I've had 6 5:30am starts this week.  And sadly I don't think this week is off to a much better start with the little man suffering temps and the little Miss 3 having an off tummy :(  But like true champions us mums are we soldier on!!  So after a bad week last week of little sleep, exhaustion and some poor food choices I decided today I need to PLAN for this week.  So I've done my training schedule up and my meal plan and I spent the morning in the kitchen cooking with my Miss 3.  I've had a request for the recipes so I'll put 2 up today as I didn't get to make my protein slice but will do it through the week and post the recipe then.  We ended up making Protein balls, Kid's Rice Bubble bars and rice cereal and teething rusks for Brandon as I've got him on a diary free diet at the moment. 
So first recipe is the Kids Rice Bubble bars.  Just to point out this is NOT a "clean" recipe but I prefer to make my own cereal bars for Bella instead of buying the store bought ones that are filled with preservatives and additives.  Mind you I make 15 mini bars which works out to be approx. 140 cals, 8g fat, 15g carbs and 1g protein per bar. 

110g butter
100g raw sugar
2 tabs honey
1 teas Vanilla essence
4 cups Rice Bubbles
50g coconut

Melt butter, sugar and honey together in a saucepan (I use my thermomix - 6mins at 100degrees on speed 6). 
Just near the end of the cooking time add the vanilla essence and mix well.
Add the Rice Bubbles and coconut and gently mix well (thermomix - 10-15secs on Reverse + speed 3/4).
Press into paper lined baking tray and refrigerate until firm.  We put a few choc chips on top, but that is optional.
Cut into slices to serve.



Chocolate Protein Balls
This is a treat that you can make and keep in the freezer for when you are craving something chocolatey -
2 scoops Chocolate Protein Powder (I use ProtoWhey)
1/3 cup oats
2 tabs Natural Peanut Butter (look in the health food aisle at your grocery store)
1 tsp L-glutamine (optional)
1/4 cup shredded coconut (plus extra to roll the balls in)
1/3 cup water
Mix all together and roll into balls.  Roll in the extra coconut and freeze for a few hours minimum. 
Mine were a bit wet and the hot weather didn't help when trying to roll them :S  I'd add the water bit by bit next time.


So I feel much better today and more prepared for the week.  My training schedule is planned and my meal plan is done. 


I will make a protein slice this week and post a photo and recipe once I've done it.  Hope you all have a fantastic week and that you all get more sleep than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment