Tuesday 13 March 2012

My new fav food - Kanga Bangas!

Well it's week 1, day 4 and things are tracking well.  The first week of cleaning up your diet can either be the easiest or the hardest.  Easy because you're excited, motivated and ready to take on the new challenge, or hard because your body goes through a detox stage and as you eliminate the sugars, the alcohol and the processed food your body goes through a possible withdrawal stage of headaches, lethargic, no energy and possibly feeling ill.  Luckily for me as my diet is reasonably clean I don't suffer the withdrawal stage too much and I've been feeling great (tired - but that's the usual sleep deprivation thanks to my darling children).  I've tried out a couple of new high protein 'treat' recipes, 1 of which I will share with you later in the blog.
I started my cleaner eating on Sunday, even knowing that we had been invited to a friends BBQ that night.  I did toss up the idea of waiting to start until Monday but if you wait until you NEVER have a social engagment, family/friend Birthday celebration, Easter, Christmas, Winter, coffee with the playgroup etc - you'll NEVER start!!  So I thought "NO EXCUSES" and this is a great way to show you how I handled a social event and still stayed on track. 
So being a BBQ it was a pretty easy decision for me to decide to take my own Kanga Bangas to cook up, and as I wasn't sure what other food would be there, I just took 1 slice of Soy and Linseed bread along.  If I was a bit more organised I could have also taken my own salad, but as it turned out I struck luck with the salad anyway.  When the boys started the BBQ up, my hubby discreetly handed my Kanga Bangas to the "chef" and then I just grabbed them straight off so no one even knew I was eating something different.  And they had a delicious salad of Spinach, pumpkin, pinenuts and fetta which I enjoyed (and will be stealing their idea and making it myself lol).
And I avoided the drinks by drinking water and wasn't even tempted by the desserts.  A bonus of having children at your social events is you can keep yourself busy looking after them so people don't even notice you've skipped desserts ;)  Unfortunately people are so quick to pass comments these days and be prepared to hear alot of "just one drink/cake/chip won't hurt" or "you don't need to be on a diet" just to name a few.  Don't let these comments get to you, you just smile and tell them you're not eating it because you don't want it.  Oh and tell them it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle ;)  But remember it is ok to treat yourself every now and then too without feeling guilty.  Just choose your treats wisely ;)

So as mentioned above here's the Protein Slice recipe I tried out this weekend.  Very similar to Chocolate protein balls I have made before.
1/3 cup water
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup organic peanut butter
4 scoops Chocolate Protowhey (or protein of choice)
Mix together well, flatten into a tray (I place cooking paper in first) and then freeze to set.  Cut up and store in fridge.  Great for an easy snack, and great for the chocolate/sweet cravings.

No comments:

Post a Comment