Sunday 4 September 2011

Prepped, pumped and ready to go!

What a week!  So I know I said Monday was going to be weigh in day but I was a bit sneaky this morning and jumped on the scales and EEEKKK exactly the same, no loss, nil, nada, zip :(  Let me just say there were a few choice words said and I think I sulked for about a good hour (Brett may say it was a few more hours).  Then I snapped out of it, had a reality check and pulled out my trusty little notebook and laptop. 
When it comes to training I always like to have plans in place and have purchased numerous notebooks throughout the last 15 years or so to help me do this.  And since becoming a personal trainer I have found planning to be even more important in helping clients to achieve their goals.  I had planned my workouts for last week and let me tell you I had a FANTASTIC training week!  6 hours of exercise in total, 2 days of burning 800+ calories and I trained 5 days for the week.  So if it wasn't my training that let me down it was only one other thing - NUTRITION.  I had been tracking my calories for MOST of the week and sticking to around 2000 calories/day (I'm allowing myself an extra 500 calories as I'm breastfeeding).  I will admit I did stop tracking come Friday and Saturday and of course that's when I started to slip.  So there's nothing I can do about it now and there's no point in dwelling on the negatives.  So once I finished sulking I pulled out the tape measure, the scales (again) and the camera.  Weight, bodyfat, BMI, measurements and photos are done, my training schedule has been planned, goals have been set and I'm in the process of completing my 'Inspiration Board'. 
My morning of prep work

My goals - Long term and short term


My Training Schedule for this week

I have decided to change my weigh in day to Sunday for numerous reasons.  The first is it's easier for me to find the time Sunday to update my blog with my latest weigh and entry as Monday is daycare day for my 2 year old so I'm usually busy shopping for shoes groceries and spending quality time with my friends son.  The other is for years and years during my "try every possible fad diet" stage the diet would always start on a Monday (and yes my male flatmate would roll around on the floor laughing hysterically when my best friend and I would be consuming copious amounts of chocolate and ice cream on a Sunday night saying "the diet starts tomorrow", EVERY SUNDAY).  Just for the record this was years before I became a personal trainer and realised that DIET is a dirty word.  So Monday is always such a cliche day to weigh in and put so much emphasis on staying on track.  Weekends tend to be the time when I can slip up too so by weighing in right in the middle of the weekend I know I'll stay on track.  I live by the mantra of not dieting, but eating clean and try to follow the 80/20 rule of being good 80% of the time.  I will admit sometimes it may be 70/30. 
So needless to say the calories have been religiously tracked today (this week aiming for 1750/day) and at 8pm I'm sitting on 1540 calories and am about to have a protein shake on water to finish the day.  I do have to be mindful of not dropping too low as it will affect my milk supply so it's going to take me a week or 2 to find out my magic number of how many calories I can consume to maintain a weekly weightloss of 500g.  So week 1 not the exact result I was hoping for but better than a gain.  I did find after having Bella I struggled to lose the weight at the start.  I hate the saying that breastfeeding helps you lose weight.  Yes you're body does burn more calories with the effort made to supply milk but it puts the thought in my head of being able to eat whatever and whenever I want.  But I know some mum's say the weight just dropped off them while breastfeeding.  I would love to hear how some of you have found the breastfeeding/losing weight situation. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bec, I really enjoyed your blog this week (not the fact you didn't lose weight) but knowing you go through exactly what I do helps me with my journey. I too have started a lot of things on Monday and the Monday after and ...... This week I am taking stock of what I am doing and getting my head in the right space. If you don't mind I would also like to weigh in on a Sunday and report my weight loss. I feel I need to be accountable to someone to keep me in line. Keep up the great work and can't wait until you are back doing your challenges.

    ReplyDelete