Sunday 27 November 2011

Cheers to Carbs

Breakfast Berry Smoothie

I lasted a week but now I've Kicked no-Karbs to the Kerb (feeling very Kardashian like saying that lol).  After one week on my low carb eating plan I sneaked a peek on the scales (well truth be told I had been sneaking a peek every day tsk tsk) and nearly cried when I had PUT ON 200g!!!  So that was it - I whipped out my blender and started my day with the one thing I had been craving for breakfast all week, a protein, energy filled smoothie.  It is seriously the best Summer breaky - quick, balanced, refreshing and filling.  I just throw a cup of Rice or Oat milk in the blender with some frozen mixed berries, a serve of vanilla protein powder, a tablespoon each of LSA and Chia seeds and a handful of ice.  Blended in less than a minute and ready to drink, it's near perfect at 350cals, 30g carbs, 34g protein and 9.5g fat.  Time is no excuse to skip breaky with these smoothies. 
Anyway so when I did my official weigh in this morning I had dropped the 200g, so weighed in the same as last Monday.  I've never been a fan of fad diets and I know I should have stuck with my gut instinct on this one, but thought I'd give it a shot.  I've hit a plateau over the last few weeks and can't seem to shift off my current weight.  But I know I've got to give myself a break and take the pressure off a little bit, my little man is not even 5 months old yet and I have lost 8kg from when I came out of hospital after having him.  I constantly keep reminding myself it takes 9 months to put it on, it may take 9 months to take it off.
Having said that I know over the last few weeks I have let my cardio training slip as I have been thoroughly enjoying some extra weight sessions, so this week I have a goal of 3 sessions on the treadmill (see below).  Plus I am covering a couple of extra classes this week, one being Bodycombat, so I have a big week of training.  Here's my plan:
Monday - am - Bodypump (teach)  pm - Bodycombat (team teach)
Tuesday - Treadmill 1.6km run - 3min recovery, 1.2km run - 2min recovery, 800m run - 1min recover, 400m run
Wednesday - Bodycombat (home)
Thursday - am - Bodycombat (teach)  pm - Bodypump (teach)
Friday - Bodypump (teach) Treadmill - 30mins Intervals (1min run, 1min walk)
Saturday - Treadmill - Incline Intervals 30mins
Sunday - Rest Day

My meal planning for this week is:
Monday - Leftover Roast Turkey with salad
Tuesday - Parmesan Chicken with Spinach Salad (my fav dinner - will blog a pic and recipe of this one)
Wednesday - Pork Cutlets and Salad
Thursday - Dinner with the in-laws
Friday - Zucchini Slice and salad
Saturday - Turkey Breast burgers
Sunday - Chicken and Pumpkin cous cous salad

So my goal this week is extra cardio - I put the challenge to you to join me with this one.  Try to include 3 cardio sessions this week (only has to be 30mins, but make it High Intensity Interval Training ie HIIT).  If you already train enough cardio, mix it up with a different form of cardio and try something new - a class, use a different machine, train outside, different intervals - the options are endless.  Have a great training week!

2 comments:

  1. On Sunday I did my first 10k since June, time of 1hr 31sec, not so bad but difinitely not my best. I will try your Tuesday treadmill workout sometime this week. I'm also going to try a Michelle Bridges's workout. 800m treadmill, 16 jumping jacks, 16 dips, 16 mountain climbers, 16 fast low-step running, 16 pushups, 16 crunches, 16 twisting crunches x 3 sets with a 1.5 minute rest between sets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Darlene on your 10km, and a great time too :) Thanks for sharing another workout for everyone (and me) to try

    ReplyDelete